Saturday, April 17, 2010

My Sister's Keeper (audiobook)


A few years ago when I had a much longer commute, I listened to lots of audiobooks. One my favorites was My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult.

Anna, at the age of 13, decides to put a stop to her family using her body as tool to keep her sister alive. Her sister, Kate, has a rare form of leukemia that has required a variety of tissue donations from her sister, Anna, who was conceived for that purpose. Now, their mother wants Anna to give Kate one of her kidneys and Anna has had enough. Anna hires a lawyer and her battle begins. Picoult tells the story from a variety of the characters' perspectives and the audio recording uses different narrators for each characters' voice. As the listener you feel like you are listening to each character share their story, the narrators bring the characters to life. As always, Picoult uses twists and turns to make her readers want more. Once you've started this novel whether you are reading it or listening to it you will not want to put it down.

Why I was interested: I had read Plain Truth, also by Jodi Picoult and I wanted to try something else.

Why I finished it: I was drawn in by the narrators and the story. I wanted to know what happened to Anna and Kate.

I'd share it with: Readers who like books that make them think. Picoult has a way of making you wonder what is really right. You may start off sympathizing with one character only to discover in the end you feel completely different. Also, if a reader is a fan of Picoult this is a must read.

Other books to try: The Tenth Circle by Jodi Picoult and Cage of Stars by Jacquelyn Mitchard.

**Cover image from Amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment